Explore the benefits of tar and chip driveways
Tar and chip, also known as chip and seal, chip seal, or macadam, liquid-asphalt and stone, or seal chip, is not commonly used for paving driveways, but it does have several benefits:
- It’s lower-priced than an asphalt or tarmac driveway and is quite quick to install. This type of driveway has a long track record of successful use, particularly in rural areas.
- Tar and chip driveways require less upkeep as they don’t need to be sealed constantly. You can renew the surface as needed, by adding more loose stone and spreading bitumen.
- They have a rough surface that provides excellent grip when the surface is covered with snow or if it’s wet. Asphalt and concrete are more slippery.
- Tar and chip driveways are also quite stable, providing much better traction and less movement than gravel.
Learn about the disadvantages of tar and chippings driveways
If you are looking to find the best driveway for your home, its best to find its pros and cons. This type of driveway has its disadvantages:
- It is not cheap to install. Surprisingly, it is not the cheapest option available. Sure, it’s still lower priced than an asphalt driveway, but it costs much more than a gravel driveway, and a gravel driveway can last for significantly longer. Besides, you will need to add more cost for overhead. We will need to bring more equipment, another truck, and that will mean additional costs for labour.
- It has a limited lifespan. As this type of driveway isn’t sealed, it is at high risk of corrosion, cracks, decay, or chipping from exposure to hazardous chemicals such as fertilizer or oil in standing water. It requires resurfacing around every 10 years, or it will deteriorate. All things considered, a tar and chip driveway will then cost you more money for maintenance or replacement.
So, is a tar and chip driveway right for you? If you are seeking an informal paving material that is not too expensive, this may be your best choice. Then again, it is always best to consult and get expert advice from someone with experience and skill.
Hire reliable Dublin tar and chip driveway contractors
If you’re looking for dependable tar and chip driveway paving services in Dublin, or the surrounding neighbourhoods, count on Master Driveway Paving Dublin to cater to your needs with the utmost professionalism and care. We rely on tried-and-tested paving methods and render our services at affordable costs.
Whether you want to transform your garden into a usable space with lovely garden paving, install beautiful patio stones, revamp your driveway with quality paving slabs, or go with tar and chip paving, we are your go-to business.